How to Create A Happily Blended Family
“The challenges of blending a new family is not unlike baking a soufflé it cannot be rushed it is complex, and requires a significant amount of patience or it will fall flat.”
Five Mistakes step Parents make and how to handle them more effectively
- Do This
- Be yourself don’t push
- Make some time to make your step children feel special to you.
- Listen carefully with patience
- Try to understand how hard it is for them to go through a divorce.
- Work to stay on the same page with your spouse while setting clear limits and consequences for the kids.
- Not That
- Underestimating the Effect of tone of voice.
- Not being clear about expectations
- Forcing new Rules.
- Getting jealous of the children’s relationship with their bio parent
- Forgetting that the kids did not ask for this new arrangement and resenting your step children’s feelings.
Common mistakes for blending new families
- Assuming everyone will be on the same page
- New parent taking on role of disciplinarian.
- Yelling or belittling step children out of frustration.
- Using sarcasm to get your point across.
The Bio Parent Role
- You are the parent that should correct your children’s poor behavior
- You are the parent with the last word in major decisions for your children
- You are the parent that asks for your spouse’s support in discipline.